Thursday, April 28, 2011

Questions I missed on the 70-448 Exam

I took my first ever Microsoft Cert Exam yesterday. I really had no idea what to expect but I did think it would be easier. I failed. I needed 700. I got 610.

I was able to remember a lot of the things that stumped me. So here's my tail-between-the-legs study list.

1) Lookup how to handle failover for SSIS in a clustered environment. Do I register the App and let the clustering software handle things or do I put checkpoints in every package?

2) How do I implement a referenced Dimension? The only kind of Dim I haven't actually used.
The only kind of dim I would rather never use since I could just do a lookup of the reference key during ETL and add it to the (would-have-been-referenced) Dim table beforehand.

3) The whole thing around the TransactionOption property. Egads. Is that crap ever confusing. I studied this before the exam, but I was hoping to get lucky. Clearly that is not going to happen.

4) Registering a custom Assembly for SSRS.

5) They defined a Named Set using the option of either ParallelPeriod MDX function or PeriodsToDate. I would have approached it totally differently. I went with PeriodsToDate. Did I mess up?

6) Pay closer attention to the options avail using the Profiler tool to track SSAS

7) What the hell is a Dynamic Managed View?

8) User!UserID! in a report header - when run on a Subscription, causes an error? how to overcome. I narrowed it to either "stored credentials" or "service account credentials" - I went with Stored. I think I might have been wrong.

9) Something about Kerberos and SSRS. Unfortunately I had counted on this being like a Jeopardy question where every clue with "Architecture" in the body has the answer of "Who was Frank Lloyd Wright?" -- I was counting on something like "Blah, blah, blah SSRS Security, blah, blah." and I was going to yell "What is Kerberos?" Instead the question asked something like "Which SSRS configuration file will you edit to indicate that you will be using Kerberos?" BOMBED that one I'm sure.


There were a few that I was really, really embarrassed to admit were not easy to me.

1) Something about a parent-child relationship in the DSV and I need to show that relationship in the DSV. I was stumped bc I don't think it's necessary to show that relationship in the DSV ever!! I always define that relationship in the Dimension Attribute type and parent-child dims work like a charm. I have accidently joined a table to itself in the DSV before, but totally by accident. So I was stumped re which key was source and which was destination.

2) There was an SSIS flow where it was supposed to use variables to indicate conditional flows and splits with dashed lines and function symbols. I couldn't remember. In cases like these I have a terrible tendency to go with my gut and test til it works.

So, I had crow for dinner last night and for breakfast this morning...and now I'm back to studying so I can have something a little less bitter for lunch.

No comments: